In 2010, Maine Families Network was just an idea. We had a working document called the “Action Plan”. Within this document there was a brief conversation on “Families are like tribes with customs, practices and expectations that make a difference within that family.”
Maine Families Network encourages families to build unique memories and traditions within their family life that can be continued each year. Doing so strengthens families and is fun!
Send us your ideas and traditions your family enjoys so that we may share them with others. We will have this open all year.
Here is one idea. Three grown siblings travel to spend time together with their mother in Florida. Yes they leave their own families at home and it only is for a few days, but it is joyful for everyone.
Here are some thoughts for this time of year.
- Enjoy a relaxing family week and take the tree down(as a family event) on New Years Day.
- Save the wrapping paper to be reused!
- Note who sent you gifts, send a family thank you to each,wishing them a Happy New Year.
- Each family member select one of their gifts and donate them to a charity such as Salvation Army.
- Each family member select a gift to be returned. Pool the money and open up a savings account for “Annual Family Outing.”
- During Christmas week go for a family winter picnic, visit a neighbor and go sight seeing.
- Have a family game night.
- Start a journey for each for the next year, do this every year at the sametime.
- Call or write a long lost family member and/or friend.